Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 12:26 AM
Subject: Lumb-R-Grip Hanger Hooks

I like to watch the DIY Network on DirectTV, but one of the commercials I saw scared the hell out me. The commercial was for a product called "Lumb-R-Grip" Hanger Hooks. If you view this in HTML or RTF format then you should be able to see the image that I attached. If not it is probably an attachment to this message and I would advise you to look at it.

Lumb-R-Grip Hangers

Take a look at the website for asseenontvnetwork.com at the following URL:
https://www.asseenontvnetwork.com/vcc/allstar/lumbrgrip/143185/
In the ad shown on TV the hooks are advertised as holding up to 200-pounds and the above URL gives a good idea of how it can be used in a basement. The TV ad hangs 20 one-gallon cans of paint from one hook suggesting that you can use as many hooks as you need to hang everything currently on the floor from the bottom of a floor joist, garage ceiling joist or the bottom chord of an exposed truss or in a shed with exposed rafters. Nowhere do the advertisements for this product warn the user against overloading structural members. The web site ad happens to show a duffel bag hung from a hook, but does not suggest limiting what is within the duffel bag or how many bags should be hung or where they should not be gathered.
I believe many of us often see areas in garages above the rafter ties or above the lower chord of a roof truss that the owner converts to storage. The resulting damage is costly to repair and products such as this may contribute to structural failures without some warning by the manufacturer.

The product is sold at Home Depot, Ace Hardware, through Amazon.com and many other sources.

I've left a review warning potential buyers of the product that they should be used responsibly. I would like your opinions as well. Should we, as a professional community, issue warnings on products that if misused can create a structural failure?

It would seem to me that anyone who can come up with the idea would understand the ramifications and risks in using the product.

Your opinions would be appreciated,
Thanks
Dennis