From: Sherman, William [mailto:ShermanWC(--nospam--at)cdm.com]
Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:25 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: PRACTICE: Direct Supervision

I think the change to the Texas regulations is a good change.  Several states have wording similar to the following: "shall be physically present or, through the use of communication devices, be available in a reasonable length of time" (e.g., California, Colorado, Hawaii, Montana).  Washington states that communications can include "electronic mail, facsimiles, telecommunications, or other current technology". Regardless, the PE must be in responsible charge and make key decisions.

Constant personal presence does not guarantee that the sealing engineer won't "over delegate" the work, and using modern means of communication between offices does not mean that it is impossible to exert responsible charge.  It is really up to the sealing engineer to establish the appropriate methods of communication that will enable them to have "responsible charge".

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO
Phone: 303-298-1311