RE: Steel Beam Splice Location

You can get some of the larger W-beams in 50’ or even 60’ lengths.  When I have a question about a specific beam size and length, I call a local detailer for advice.

BDH

-----Original Message-----
From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 9:57 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Steel Beam Splice Location

What are the critical values of beam lengths and splice locations?

I’m detailing a pipe support bridge that is 2 spans of 75 feet.  I have a center support.  I want to have a continuous beam over both spans and I’m looking for the ideal splice locations.  I recall there is a critical value of 40 feet for steel beam lengths from the mill.  Are there several critical lengths other than just the 40 feet length?  I don’t want to put a splice at that point because the moment is too high.  I would like to get it as near as possible to the point of inflection.

Thanks for your insight.

Rich