Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
RE: Steel Beam Splice Location[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: RE: Steel Beam Splice Location
- From: "Bruce Holcomb" <bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com>
- Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2006 12:47:40 -0600
You can get some of the larger W-beams in 50’ or even 60’ lengths. When I have a question about a specific beam size and length, I call a local detailer for advice.
What are the critical values of beam lengths and splice locations?
I’m detailing a pipe support bridge that is 2 spans of 75 feet. I have a center support. I want to have a continuous beam over both spans and I’m looking for the ideal splice locations. I recall there is a critical value of 40 feet for steel beam lengths from the mill. Are there several critical lengths other than just the 40 feet length? I don’t want to put a splice at that point because the moment is too high. I would like to get it as near as possible to the point of inflection.
Thanks for your insight.
- Prev by Subject: RE: Steel Beam Splice Location
- Next by Subject: RE: Steel Beam Splice Location
- Previous by thread: RE: Steel Beam Splice Location
- Next by thread: AUTOCAD: What's Your Preference?