From: Robert E Shaw Jr [mailto:rshaw(--nospam--at)steelstructures.com]
Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 10:14 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Steel Beam Splice Location

Two spans of 75’ each, or total?

The erector would love to avoid the temporary shoring, and if you can make it simple span, the increased weight would be compensated for by savings in erection.

If it is two spans of 75’ each, you can get longer than the std 60’ stock lengths. Check with a local fabricator for lead times for special mill order lengths and shipping length restrictions.

You could use a moment connection across the top at the center pier, but again, the cost of the connection may exceed the weight savings.

Bob Shaw

SSTC