Precast concrete barrier wall (spandrel) design against vehicle impact load.

Hi!

I would like to hear your opinions about precast concrete barrier wall design.

Here are conditions:

            H=50in, L=60ft (between two columns), THK=12in

            Car impact load= 10kips (Factored) in the mid of section

 (25in from the bottom of barrier wall.)

Both top and bottom of the wall are free end (horizontal sides).

Only vertical sides at both ends can have connections to column:

                   Bearing and tieback connections are possible only to the column at both ends.

When I assumed this wall as one-way action wall like a simple beam, its bending moment is 10k*30ft, which

 requires unrealistically high flexural reinforcement. (Is this high reinf ratio correct?)

I heard some books and engineers use yield line theory.

According to this theory, where and how can I assume the yield line locations?

If I assume three vertical yield lines, this may bring the same results as one-way action wall.

How can I design this concrete barrier wall with respect to the car impact load?

 Thanks for your advice!

****Wontae Kim****
Unistress Corp.
Pittsfield, MA 01201