Mechanical and Electrical Seismic Loads

Title: Message

    I am wondering what is the best way to calculate seismic forces on M&E equipment in Seismic  Design Category B. According to ASCE 7-02 Section 9.6.1 mechanical and electrical units in this design category are exempt from the provisions of section 9.6 which deals with architectural, mechanical, and electrical components. I have a large condenser that is to be supported above the roof of the building. Should I treat it as a separate story and just calculate the forces as I would for the rest of the building? Or should I use section 9.6 even though ASCE says that M&E components are exempt for this Seismic Design Category?

Wesley C. Werner