From: Eli Grassley [mailto:elig(--nospam--at)psm-engineers.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:18 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Mechanical and Electrical Seismic Loads

Wes,

I don’t understand your question.  If there is an exemption in the Code that says, “you don’t have to design for this,” then why don’t you take it?  There aren’t too many freebees in the Code – so I would suggest you use them when you can.  Use your own judgment to detail the connection so that there is *a* load path for overturning.  Code seismic forces are, at best, just good guesses anyways.

~~ Eli ~~