RE: Lag Bolts into Narrow Face of a Stud

From:	Gerard Madden, SE [SMTP:gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com]
Sent:	Tuesday, February 28, 2006 5:12 PM
To:	seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject:	RE: Lag Bolts into Narrow Face of a Stud

Thanks Bill,

I saw those size bolts in the NDS? wondering if they are a pain to get
or if they're readily available.

I always specify pre-drilling of holes for Lags, whether or not that
happens in reality ?. Not confident?

-gm

-----Original Message-----
From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 1:57 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Lag Bolts into Narrow Face of a Stud

Gerard -

Whenever I've had to do this (very seldom), I've required the contractor
to pre-drill the holes. This was not only to reduce the chance of
splitting the 2Xs, but also to assist in installing a close spacing
because I was faced with perpendicular to grain values for the ledger.

But, to answer your question, I specified 7/16"O lags.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS <http://www.AllenDesigns.com>
Consulting Structural Engineers
 V (949) 248-8588 . F(949) 209-2509