From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 2:57 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Lag Bolts into Narrow Face of a Stud

Gerard –

Whenever I’ve had to do this (very seldom), I’ve required the contractor to pre-drill the holes. This was not only to reduce the chance of splitting the 2Xs, but also to assist in installing a close spacing because I was faced with perpendicular to grain values for the ledger.

But, to answer your question, I specified 7/16ӯ lags.

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

V (949) 248-8588 F(949) 209-2509