RE: AUTOCAD: What's Your Preference?

1. Model Space. I know Autodesk originally encouraged using PS for all
annotations, but I've briefly worked in that environment and it is not,
IMHO, an easy format to manipulate and view information on a particular
model.

All annotations (dimension, detail bubbles, leadered text, notes, etc.)
associated with the model goes in Model Space. I put general notes, shear
wall schedules, etc. in Paper Space.

I don't work in 3D or in different scales, but if I did, I would create a
dimension style and text style for each and put them on their own layer to
be turned on and off (or frozen and thawed) depending on which view I'm
working with.

On a related issue, I'm curious about which is the best way to go relative
to managing different levels of the same structure. Currently, I have
everything related to a structure (except details) in one plan file. I XREF
attach all of the associated architectural (and sometimes mechanical) plans
and draw the structural information on top of them.

To switch between views, I used to (R2000 and before) use script files to
turn on and off layers. Now I use Express Tools' Layer Manager and may be
moving to AutoCAD's Layer States Manager to do this task. The problem with
ET's Layer Manager (and I believe ACAD's LSM) is that if/when I add a new
layer, I have to redefine the views whereas when I wrote script files, I
could use wild cards and never had to mess with it again.

Now I'm discovering ACAD's Publishing feature of R2006 and like it a lot
except it doesn't recognize ET's Layer Manager nor do I believe it will
recognize ACAD's LSM. I have yet to seriously investigate Sheet Sets.

So, if I have a file called PLAN which contains information for S1
(Foundation Plan), S2 (Second Floor Framing Plan) and S3 (Roof Framing
Plan), what method would be the easiest/best to use for publishing purposes?

Thanks,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers