RE: AUTOCAD: What's Your Preference?

Bill,

What I do is start at the roof.

I have a base file of the each floor plan that just contains the walls
from the architect (I blow out all their text, notes, everything, except
the physical linework of the building). So in a 2 story building I would
have the following files:

A-Roof
A-Flr2
A-Flr1

I start with my roof plan structural drawing S-Roof.dwg
- 1st: I xref in the A-Roof drawing, and I go to the layer dialog box
and set all the colors to a grey (to fade them out). I will dash the
lines that are under the roof framing (i.e. bearing walls) and make the
walls that penetrate or form the parapet continuous).
- 2nd: I insert a block file that is a roof plan of the job I just
finished. This gives me most of the things I need (text styles, dim
styles, std. notes, layers). I move it to the side grab what I need and
I erase everything else and I PURGE ALL to the file.
-3rd I start the roof plan

Then I go to the second floor plan.
- 1st: I xref the ***S-Roof.dwg*** I was just working on into the file.
When I do this, I brings in the s-roof file, everything I just drew, and
also brings the A-Roof file that was embedded in the file.
- 2nd: I go to the layer dialog box. The layers are sorted
alphabetically as you know, but the ones that are part of the x-ref's
are sorted. I go to the S-ROOF\layers... and freeze all of them except
the column layer since that penetrates down to this floor. I go to the
A-Roof/layers .... and shut off what I don't need (i.e. penthouses) and
change the linetypes to all continuous.
- 3rd: I xref in A-FLR2 background, and do the same layer manipulations
(i.e. dash lines for bearing walls and walls under this finished floor
line).
-4th : Insert a block of the 2nd floor plan on a previous job and
repeat...

Same on the foundation/1st floor plan... What this does is gives you an
accurate plan alignment for the structure so you can carry down the
columns/post, keeps the layers easily manageable (without any special
ad-on programs), and lets you quickly create these files.

The first few times will be cumbersome, but after that, it's like second
nature and very easy. It's especially helpful in residential when walls
do not stack and you need to come up with cross beams, beams supporting
shearwalls etc....

Hth, probably confusing over email...

-gm