Bar Grating

I'm using bar grating as a surface for an exit to a balconly and stairs.  A plan checker is questioning whether bar grating meets T-24 1124B.1.  I have the elongated openings running perpendicular to path of travel except where you immediately exit the building and turn left towards the stairs.  An additional steel support member would be needed if I orient the openings the other direction in this "patch".  Even if I do this, isn't there still a small piece that doesn't comply as you finish turning?  If typical bar grating doesn't meet T-24 1124B.1, then why do so many designs use it?  What are some other tyypical options?

Mark Pemberton, S.E.

Pemberton Engineering
502 Mace Blvd., Suite 2B
Davis, CA 95616