RE: Princeton Review: Update

-          Percentage of people who say they’d “keep working at their present job” if they won the lottery: 98.3.

-          Percentage of people who win the lottery and continue working at their job: 0.3.

Conclusion

If lottery players represent a statistically accurate sample of the population:

1)       98% of people are liars

2)       0.3% of people truly love their jobs

or

1)       People who don’t lie to themselves also don’t play the lottery

2)       People who truly love their jobs don’t play the lottery

- Jeremy White

What I want to know is where this brain washing comes from which says structural engineers are expected to work long and hard hours because you do it for the love and personal satisfaction of the job and not the pay.  If I handed any structural engineer, say, $10 million dollars how long would they stay in the career that they “love” so much.  I don’t know any who would.  They’d be off to retire to the beach in a week and became part-time stock market gamblers with their new found wealth.  Am I wrong?