RE: AUTOCAD: What's Your Preference?

Gerard -

Well, your method certainly solves the publishing issue, but it seems like
to me that it's more difficult drawing in three different files than it
would be to draw in one file. I realize I'm not as familiar with your method
as you are, but what happens if (actually, when) something changes? You then
have to XREF the structural plans to make sure things (loads) "track" all
the way down.

Personally, I still like drawing in one plan file and switch views by
manipulating layers. My question was relative to printing/publishing
efficiently.

If I don't change the way I draw (of course, I could if I can be convinced
it's the best way to go), I see four ways of printing/publishing my plan
sheets:

1. The current way, which is to print them individually after running Layer
Manager.
2. Do a "save as" once I've run a layer manager to save the plan file as a
foundation plan, second floor framing plan and roof framing plan. Once I've
got that, then I can run my publishing routing which I hopefully saved.
3. XREF my plan into new drawings which are used for plotting only. The down
side is that I would have to check each file when/if I create a new layer.
4. Create layout tabs for each plan view. Currently, I have layout tabs set
up only for different printers. I have one for a full size print (24x36 or
30x42), on for my rack set (11x17) and one for PDFs.

Currently, it seems to me that option 2 is the easiest, but I am hoping that
there might be a better way.

Thanks for your time to send me your files to help explain your system.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.
ALLEN DESIGNS
Consulting Structural Engineers