To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, March 02, 2006 11:58 AM
Subject: Re: Princeton Review: Update

From: "Jeremy White" <jwhite(--nospam--at)holbertapple.com>

What I want to know is where this brain washing comes from which says
structural engineers are expected to work long and hard hours because you
do it for the love and personal satisfaction of the job and not the pay.

In Ontario, there is some history that aids and abets this notion. The
Ontario Labour Act, which sets the legal requirements for employee
overtime compensation and limiting hours, starts off with something to
the effect that, "this does not apply to doctors, nurses, lawyers and
professional engineers." This exclusion is abused by many consulting
companies that I have encountered. I advise engineers seeking employment
to have the labour act referenced into their contract with this clause
excluded. You also have to take a hard line and leave the office after
your 8 hours are up.

Regards
Paul
--