Re: Princeton Review: Update

> From: Daryl Richardson <h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca>

>         On the other hand, engineering is commonly considered as one (of
> many) entry positions into higher management; and nobody makes it into
> higher management unless they are willing to work long hours.

I don't buy this. It is an attitude that permits a company to have cheap
labour and keep staff costs lower - the employee gets diddly. The
pyramid effect ensures that the possibilities are low. The only benefit
to a junior employee is the level of technical knowledge that can be
developed if they are covering more variety in their work. This does not
necessarily translate into promotability and frequently it is an
engineer who is already too "techy" for the mangers who promote them.

When presented with the opportunity to schmooze with management and
clients, most engineers will respond in some derogatory fashion and
ignore the fact that this is required management training. For
advancement into management, you have to spend your hours learning how
to be a manager, not a better engineer.

If you want to progress in an engineering environment you learn
effective engineering. If you want to progress from engineering into a
management environment, take sales/business courses/seminars and learn
public speaking skills ... an engineer already has better analytical
skills than most MBA grads.

Long hours at work is directed to your employers requirements but rarely
to yours.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International