Re: 3X Plates and Washers on Intermediate Anchors

I'd intended to sit this one out....oh well. :o)

Bob, I think if  your test walls were representative of actual field construction you might have a different opinion.

Around here a real wall often has very wet plate stock with AB holes grossly oversize.  IMHO if & when the wall tries to resist sliding by bearing at the AB only, one or two bolts will bear.  As they fail in bearing/splitting, the load then transfers to one or two more & the sill begins to split along its length.

A well tightened AB with a square edged plate washer can bite into the sill & resist sliding.  The solution is good tie downs not loose AB.

YMMV
Chuck Utzman, P.E.

Robert Kazanjy wrote:
>>>Regarding the longitudinal splitting, what do you think caused that?<<<<

Inadequate hold downs..................

Slot cuts & overdrilling are already prohibited.

#x sills are overkill but a modern 2x is inadequate as well.

cheers
Bob