Re: 3X Plates and Washers on Intermediate Anchors

Bill:

The plate washers yes.  I think the 3x sill was due to several reasons.

We all tended to use 3/8" plywood on our projects. We were all using Code allowable values  from 510 to 800 plf depending upon nails and spacing.  The result was 3/8" plywood
performed quite poorly.

I think it was Late March City of LA issued interim memo reducing max value of 3/8" plywood to 300plf

On walls that were not heavily loaded the sill plates performed well.  But on the heavy loaded walls the sill plates split apart along the line of edge nailing.  This was a common occurrence.

The 3x is used to create 2 rows of  edge nailing at the sill plate.  As Bob stated if there was 2" nominal lumber that would be acceptable.

Also damage at most holdown post was caused by the post splitting at the line of bolts.

Thus City of LA 25% reduction for Holdowns.

Joe Venuti
Johnson & Nielsen Associates
Palm Springs, CA