From: Brian Stanley [mailto:bstanley(--nospam--at)inbox.bz]
Sent: Friday, March 03, 2006 10:27 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Site Specific Seismic IBC 2000

I was hoping someone could provide some clarification regarding
site-specific procedure for determining ground motion accelerations (IBC
1615.2) and it's correlation with Dynamic Analysis.

If a site classification of Class F has been identified, then a
site-specific procedure for determining ground motion accelerations will
be
required of the geotechnical engineer.  What information is provided by
the
geotechnical engineer in this procedure.  Would the Response Spectrum -
sim.
to Figure 1615.2.2 be provided?  Would Fa and Fv be provided?  How is
the
SDC determined using dynamic analysis?

In performing a dynamic analysis (IBC 1618), the resulting base shear
shall
not be less than that determined from Equivalent Lateral Force Procedure
(per Table 1616.6.3).  Question - how do you determine the base shear
for
the Equivalent Lateral Force Procedure if there is no Fa or Fv values
listed
in tables 1616.3(1) or 1616.3(2) because the soil is Class F?

Also, what is the norm for satisfying the requirements of IBC
1807.2.23.1 -
do others utilize the slab on grade to brace piles in SDC C or are grade
beams added.

Brian T. Stanley
Richmond, Va