Re: 3X Plates and Washers on Intermediate Anchors [and P-T wood v. fasteners]

Bob-
2 comments:
Getting contractors to use different nails in the sill is not a easy as you might imagine.

I think Simpson has created a problem where it didn't exist. Sure, the corrosion rate is double but
2 x 0 = 0.  The important part is keeping the sills dry.  Wet OSB will quickly deteriorate--even with SS nails :o)
chuck

Robert Kazanjy wrote:
SS nails ~ 8¢ or 10¢  each

~$320 for 4000 nails (304SS)
~$380 for 4000 nails (316SS)

but only the sill needs to be nailed with SS  so about ~30¢ extra per ft of shear wall

doesn't sound like too much to assure corrosion resistance

cheers
Bob