ASCE 7-02: Live Load on Canopy

I'm checking a canopy design. Referring to Table 4-1, reference
"Marquees and canopies" (middle of Page 13) it reads "75 psf."

Could that be right? Does this have other limitations that may not be
apparent here? For instance, the canopy under consideration here is a
free-standing canopy that serves a shelter for people waiting to board a
bus. It is not supported on or against a building wall.

75 psf just sounds MUCH to me. It certainly has a great impact on the
column design!

Opinions fervently solicited.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Senior Associate
mailto:bpolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com
WJE
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Engineers I Architects I Material Scientists
10235 West Little York, Suite 245
Houston, Texas 77040
P: 832-467-2177 F: 832-467-2178
http://www <blocked::http://www/> .wje.com