Re: ASCE 7-02: Live Load on Canopy

If the structure does not have an access for public, I would design it for 20 psf live load (or appropriate snow load if it is more than 20 psf) or a concentrated load of 200 lbs. A load of 75 psf makes me wonder if the intent was for a canopy that can be populated, occassionaly by a group of people such as, for example, on  a canopy extending from an upper floor in a picturesque country.

Rajendran

"Polhemus, Bill" <BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com> wrote:
I'm checking a canopy design. Referring to Table 4-1, reference
"Marquees and canopies" (middle of Page 13) it reads "75 psf."

Could that be right? Does this have other limitations that may not be
apparent here? For instance, the canopy under consideration here is a
free-standing canopy that serves a shelter for people waiting to board a
bus. It is not supported on or against a building wall.

75 psf just sounds MUCH to me. It certainly has a great impact on the
column design!

Opinions fervently solicited.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Senior Associate
mailto:bpolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com
WJE
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Engineers I Architects I Material Scientists
10235 West Little York, Suite 245
Houston, Texas 77040
P: 832-467-2177 F: 832-467-2178
http://www .wje.com