RE: ASCE 7-02: Live Load on Canopy

From: Bruce Holcomb [mailto:bholcomb(--nospam--at)brpae.com]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 1:08 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: ASCE 7-02: Live Load on Canopy

Refer to the definitions in the IBC to verify... a marquee cantilevers
into the right-of-way (supported by the building without additional
columns).  A canopy is a rigid structure with a covering attached (I
think of a canvas covering), is supported by the building and a least
one other post.  An awning is like a canopy by cantilevers without any
additional posts.

I've had very few "entrance structures" that I've designed with 75 psf.
I can usually throw out the "marquee" definition, but canopy is a little
"iffy".  Only because of the definition of "covering"... I assume that
is a fabric-type covering.  Somebody else may interpret to be any
roofing material.