RE: ASCE 7-02: Live Load on Canopy

From: Michelle Motchos [mailto:mmotchos(--nospam--at)sw-sc.com]

While you are busy averaging, you could also consider that IBC-2003
section 1607.11.2.4 allows canopies and awnings to be designed for 5psf
LL, though I tend to think that is a bit to far on the light end of the
scale unless you are doing a small fabric awning...
IBC vaguely defines a roof covering as something applied to roof deck
which doesn't really clarify the issue.  I typically consider something
like Bill described as a canopy but design it as a roof at 20psf min