In my practice, I label the load on the plans.  As Larry indicated, there is
an exception for light frame wood construction.

Gautam

>>> lrhauer(--nospam--at)earthlink.net 03/05/06 10:27AM >>>
Mark,

As I remember, the '97 UBC/'01 CBC exempts light frame wood construction from
the omega requirement for collectors. Basically for the reason that to design
a prefab roof truss to take and more important transfer this load to the
resistive element is impractical. That's my opinion.

Larry

-----Original Message-----
From: "Mark D. Baker"
Sent: Mar 4, 2006 2:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Residential drag trusses

How are others notating the drag truss force on their residential roof framing
plans (97 UBC) such that the truss manufacturer designs the truss for the
proper force and adjustment factors?

For example:

1. Label the truss on plan as having 3000# drag force and a note elsewhere on
the framing plan that truss manufacturer must design per section 1633.2.6
Collector Elements.
2. Label the truss on plan as having 11,760# drag force (1.4x2.8x3000) and a
note elsewhere on the framing plan that states force is listed as strength
level with omega applied, truss manufacturer shall design per 1633.2.6
Collector Elements.

TIA

Mark D. Baker

at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp * * This email was sent to you via
Structural Engineers * Association of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To
* subscribe (no fee) or UnSubscribe, please go to: * *
http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp * * Questions to seaint-ad(--nospam--at)seaint.org.
Remember, any email you * send to the list is public domain and may be
re-posted * without your permission. Make sure you visit our web * site at:
********