RE: Truss gap over the wall

Acie-

According to the Simpson catalog (see footnote), the gap is limited to ¼” in order to achieve the published loads. I wish Simpson would update these devices so that they are consistent with the truss recommendations of ½” gap.

Don’t ask me what I do. The Simpson DTC clip is still about the only thing I know that works. Even though I’ve specified these in the past, don’t develop a lot of confidence that this detail will be achieved just because you’ve got it on your drawings.

IMO, the best way to achieve the desired intent is to require that the perpendicular partitions are made of metal stud and are connected at the top via a slip track connection. Someone else mentioned using a slip track connection on a wood stud wall. I’m not sure how this would be detailed, but the concept is good.

I’m not sure if I’ve been clear in conveying that I’m not convinced specifying DTC clips will achieve the intended results.

Regards,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers