From: Yi Yang [mailto:YI(--nospam--at)summit-sr.com]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 4:24 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Slab on grade thickness

In Chapter 22 of the ACI318-05, section 22.4.8 indicates that the thickness of plain concrete footing should be h+2".  However in the earlier section, 22.1.1.2, it excludes soil-supported slabs unless they transmit vertical loads or lateral forces from other parts of the structure to the soil.

If I have a plain concrete slab-on-grade (reinforcing for shrinkage), supporting fork lift wheel loads, and some equipment support column loads (tanks, racks), do I need to design the slab (for example, using the PCA method) then add two inches to that for construction?

Thanks for any comments.

Yi Yang