Rhkratzse(--nospam--at)aol.com wrote:
Speaking of truss skroo-ups, I recently saw a house where quite a few roof trusses spanning about 25' were supported at a girder truss WITH TOE NAILS, and nothing else!  I could barely believe it, but there it was.  They had obviously been supported for 20+ years by the two interior "non-load-bearing" hall walls near midspan that didn't even align with panel points.  The owner was planned to remove the hall walls--was he lucky he called an engineer?

Ralph

In a message dated 3/6/06 3:37:14 PM, AChance(--nospam--at)lacsd.org writes:

Thanks to Christopher, John, Jason, Ray, Rodger and Harold.  I believe the Simpson Clips with the DS gypsum wallboard supports will work.  I sure hope the thousands of homes like mine which have the interior walls nailed to the bottom truss chords do not fall down any time soon.  It is not good to have been a carpenter before being an engineer.

Thanks again
Acie Chance

-----Original Message-----
From: Raymond Shreenan [mailto:rshreenan(--nospam--at)adelphia.net]
Sent: Monday, March 06, 2006 3:15 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Truss gap over the wall

Acie:

One of the reasons not to allow the truss to bear on the interior wall is that it was most likely designed to clear span from exterior wall to exterior wall or girder truss.  If you give it bearing interior it causes stress reversals and changes in the loads to the members which may be greater than the original dedign results.  At the same time the wall has to be supported at the top.  The Simpson truss clips are slotted to allow vertical deflection of the truss without loading the wall and provides lateral support of the wall perpendicular to the truss.
Ray Shreenan SE

--
Jordan