Re: The power of intuition in Engineering

On Mar 8, 2006, at 2:32 AM, Ddumba Nathan wrote:

"Conventional engineering programs only educate half the engineer ¡ª the left hemispheric part associated with technical knowledge and mathematical skill," explains Bruce Field, associate professor of mechanical engineering at Monash University.
If my own experience is any guide, this is absolutely true. I don't know any engineers for whom this is not true. I'm almost certain it's true of physicians and lawyers. Engineering is at least half art and half of the rest social skills of one sort or another--persuasion, diplomacy, what some would call politics, communication and organizational skills. School is mostly learning how to work set-piece problems at the end of the chapter and how to take tests. No hint at all about how to deal with ambiguity, marshall recources or organize an approach to a problem they've never seen before. In some ways it's just as well. Most college age kids couldn't handle it.
http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/