Concrete Crack Control

ACI 318-02 has replaced the “z” factor for distribution of flexural reinforcing and crack control.  I have been asked to design a concrete septic tank.  In using the old method z=67 k/in which is less than the 95 k/in suggested in ACI 350 for severe environmental exposure, which in my opinion is overly suitable for this tank.  Anyway, I don’t have a copy of the new ACI documents.  Is anyone familiar with the newer requirements in a situation like this?  Are they similar to 10.6.4 in the new ACI 318-02, but more stringent?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Joe Grill

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.