RE: Example analyais of a portal frame

I also used the Steel Designers' Manual. I bought in 1962 at Foleys in London, but mine is the 2nd edition. I also bought Kleinlogel's "Rigid Frame Formulas" there at the same time.

The Steel Designer's Manual is still being published although it's the 4th edition, cost 22.50 pounds and has 1081 pages.

I responded to this same question on the Eng-Tips forum in the middle of February. You can buy a copy of Kleinlogels book, starting at $109.25. I think I paid around $10 for it 460 pages

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0804445516/002-1872279-3775200?v=glance&n=283155

The text book that I used at Cal Poly in 1960 is "Analysis of Statically Indeterminate Structures" by Williams. A number frame analysis methods in this book and one to cut your teeth on for moment distribution. I think this course was about 15 units over three quarters. Remember having to use moment distribution with haunches on my SE exam in the concrete half day.

Neil Moore, SE, SECB
neil moore and associates