From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 12:21 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Software Fun

From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 10:28 AM
To: SEAOC List
Subject: Software Fun

I have a new one I have encountered.  A friend of mine is retiring and wanted to give me, free of charge, two copies of ACAD 2006.  (Unopened, in the box).

Autodesk will not allow transfer of ownership.

I am sure there are many other software agreements that are similar, and I just have not paid enough attention to the EULA when purchasing the products.  With any other product I know of, you can at least give it away when you no longer need it, and it does not just vanish into thin air as a valueless commodity.

You have GOT to be kidding me!

I mean, I know you can’t “purchase software,” you purchase only a license to USE the software. But c’mon: If the licenses are legit, does Autodesk REALLY care who’s actually using them?

I dunno….