RE: Software Fun

From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Tuesday, March 14, 2006 11:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Software Fun

What B.S.!

EULA notwithstanding, you should be able to buy it, even if the asking price is $0.

First, a legitimate company is prevented from buying U.S. ports because Congress has no confidence that the Coast Guard can properly provide security and/or INS cannot properly issue and monitor visas (no wonder the Arab world doesn’t trust us) and now this!

Well, to be precise:

Even the Coast Guard is not confident that it can provide adequate security under these circumstances.

I support a good deal of what the Bush Administration is doing, but they are shockingly myopic when it comes to “business as usual” stuff like this—and securing our borders.

The DPW deal might be totally benign—but it stinks at first sniff. I think the Bushies were caught napping on this one, not realizing what an uproar it was going to cause. As far as “the Arab world not trusting us,” my heart bleeds. Count the number of Arabs who are here in the U.S., living and working—even raising families—and then look at the number of Americans happily doing same in the Arab world. Think there’s a disparity? Who really trusts whom?

That said, I am not sure that a EULA is all-powerful in legal terms. It seems to me that quite a few EULA provisions have been successfully challenged over the years. Paul might want to check with his attorney about this.