Bolted Connection To Existing Old Steel

Hi Daryl,
Firstly, in regards to the phobia, would the following do something about it?
1. finding out how the chemical and subsequently the mechanical properties of steel change with time,
2. getting a sample of that existing beam and testing for its mechanical/chemical properties
3. then working out the maximum shear load an effective welded section can take on (safety ensured) the available loading.

Otherwise the possibility being considered is not bad at all. Are you drilling right through the beam encased in concrete? if not then I would also think of doing your suggestion together with that 'easiest solution' mentioned earlier to ensure rigidity and extra safety since we are also dealing with vibratory/dynamic loads from the elevator once functioning. But ofcourse all this depends on how much the combined (the stud-like system and the welding) can take on.

Regards
Ddumba Nathan, SEng.
Ug(E.A)