Re: Norbord Windstorm OSB panels

Looks like it still uses hold-downs, just eliminates the stud to plate connectors.  See this design example for hold-down loading:  http://www.windstormosb.com/pdfs/115-130B-1-Model.pdf

Neil Moore <nma(--nospam--at)omsoft.com> wrote:
We've been reading (and commenting) on a OSB shearwall system for
high winds that's being touted to eliminate hold-downs on the
Eng-Tips website. Has any of the list used these walls? They
apparently are using only anchor bolts at the sill plate, with the
bolts resisting both sliding forces and uplift forces and have
referenced this report:

http://www.nahbrc.org/Docs/NewHomeNav/LaboratoryCertificationServices/4722_NORBORD1.pdf

Also review their reasoning: http://www.windstormosb.com/ws-method-high.html

I can not find a ICBO report that provides data that an engineer can
use to design their panels. The laboratory report is utilizing
cross-grain bending in the sill plate and referencing the Forest
Products Wood Handbook for the tension values of at cross grain bending.

The particular discussion can be found
at: http://eng-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=149335&page=1

Any comments? Do you know of any building departments that will
accept these type of shearwalls?

Neil Moore, SE, SECB
neil moore and associates
consulting structural engineers