From: Tim Rudolph, PE <pinyonengineering(--nospam--at)direcway.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:25:13 -0800
Subject: Fw: Shearwall bottom plate

Hi,
I have a field fix problem where input would be helpful

The shearwall is the first floor built on a raised wood floor - the PT sill is bolted to the foundation ok then the 12" IJoist floor system then the shear wall on top of the floor sheathing.  The plate for the shearwall was called out to be 3x the wall is double sided 1/2"str 1 10d @ 2"oc 1740 plf  sorta important in the house.  the installed plate is 2x !!!!  on one side the shear panel can lap down the rim joist to the PT sill so there is 870plf into the foundation.  on the inside face the shear panel will only be nailed to the 2x plate that is SDS screwed to blocking under the floor.  How to fix? and transfer the remaining 870 plf into the foundation

can I have 2x blocks added between the studs on top of the 2x sill and the stagger the nailing between the plate and the block so each gets 4"oc nailing?   or should the block be 3x  Reframing would be a major proposition.  how should I attach the block to the exising 2x sill? (with SDS screws or nails the sds screws could extend into the under floor blocking)

Ideas are welcome

Thanks

Tim Rudolph
Pinyon Engineering