RE: Shearwall bottom plate

I would have them rip it out and re-frame if its getting hammered that much. That’s a lot of shear for a wood wall. I probably would have went with a hardy frame anyway due to the shear transfer issues below the floor and hung the floor joists off a parallam on top of the mudsill.

Did they use 3x’s for the mudsill and panel joint studs? Did they stagger the joints of the plywood on either side of the wall?

If they have already nailed the shit out of the 2x sill @ 2” oc from each side, you may have no choice. If they ran the plywood on the outside face continuous to the mudsill, I hope you have engineered lumber for the rimjoist/blocking.

Anyway, I would do this:

  • (N) 4x flat blocking on top of the 2x sill plate to receive the 2” staggered nails (re-nail them)
  • (N) 3.5” wide parallam blocking under the plywood, on top of the mudsill, between the I joist
  • ¾” Dia. Lag Bolts through the (n) 3x plate, (e) 2x plate into the new plam blocking to meet your shear demand
  • Use LTP4 clips from the parallam blkg to the mudsill on the crawlspace side to get your shear transfer

Make sure you have squash blocks under the end posts because I’d imagine that the uplift/compression forces are huge. If it lands on an I-joist, make sure they put in web stiffeners to prevent web buckling.

Hth and good luck,

-gm