cub scouts

Mr. Kip:

One of the favorite projects I have seen is to give each scout 100 pop sickle sticks and a bottle of glue.  Have a competition.  See which scout can build a 'bridge' spanning 24" between two shoe boxes.  The winner will load the 'bridge' with the highest stack of books when it fails.

When I was in college (30 years ago) they used to have a toy at Toys R Us with 8" long wooden sticks and flexible plastic connectors.  the connectors could each hold 5 or 6 sticks at each connector.  This toy, if it is still available, could also be used rather than pop sickle sticks.

Sounds like a great group of future engineers.

With Joy and Hope,
Bob Freeman, Architect
Structural Designer
Integrated Design Services, Inc.