ASCE 7 Gable Wind Loads

I have a question about wind loads on a gable roof.  The building is 20’ tall and 192’ wide with a ¼” / ft roof slope.  Using the method described in 6.5.12.2.1, I would have a windward Cp of 0.8, a leeward Cp of 0.5.  Using the method described in 6.5.12.2.2, I have a  windward GCpf of 0.4, and a leeward GCpf of 0.29.  This translates to a windward Cp of 0.47, and a leeward Cp of 0.34.

Basically, this means that the lateral wind load is 62% of what it would have been had I used the tried and true formulas for every other type of building out there.

Does anyone know why this is?  I wouldn’t question if the lateral load was 80 to 90% of the other formulas, but when it gets this low, I tend to think I’m missing something.

Brian S Bossley, PE

Ventura Engineering

7610 Olentangy River Rd

Columbus, OH 43235