Re: HILTI Anchor for anchoring Vessels

The only thing that kept me from using the HILTI were the limitations on length and metric diameters. Covert custom makes anything you want. So for a vessel you can still use your stiffened weldments at the base.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: Tom.Hunt(--nospam--at)fluor.com
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Re: HILTI Anchor for anchoring Vessels
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 11:38:11 -0800

Rajendran,

If you are trying to stay with HILTI note that they have a self drilling
mechanical undercut anchor called the HILTI HDA and comes in two styles;
one as a pre-set type and the other as a through-set type.  Call them or
look up their catelog on the net.

Thomas Hunt, S.E.
Fluor

"Harold Sprague" <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
03/17/2006 11:16 AM
Please respond to seaint

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc

Subject
Re: HILTI Anchor for anchoring Vessels

I have used a Covert "Ductile Undercut Anchor" post installed mechanical
anchor rod and tensioned the anchor rods after installation.
http://www.covertoperationsinc.com/duc.html
On the applications that I have employed, the bolts were checked after a
week and showed no relaxation.

I would advise against tensioning an epoxy anchor.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

HILTI
>epoxy grouted anchor rods. The tension and shear in the bolt is 11000 lbs

>and 1000 lbs respectively. My scope of work is to determine the bolt
>embedment depth. I understand that the bolt will be pretensioned after
the
>vessel is installed.
>
>   I used the published values of nominal bolt loads, adjustment factors
>for edge distance and bolt spacing etc. to calculate the bolt embedment
>depth.  One of the standard embedment lengths (12.375") is sufficient to
>support the vessel.
>
>   What bothers me is that the post-installed epoxy anchors are not
>approved by ACI 318 (See Appendix D for Scope of application) mainly
>because the reliability of these type of anchors has not been certified
in
>accordance with ACI 355.2. However, the published bolt values in HILTI
>catalog have been certified, by  ICC Evaluation Service, to conform to
UBC
>1997, and 2000 IBC. The certification stipulates that it is valid only
when
>the concrete is uncracked. The restriction stems from the fact that the
>anchors were not tested in cracked concrete environment.
>
>   The current thinking in anchor bolt design is that the headed bolt, or

>something similar, is the most effective anchor element. It is reported
>that L- shaped and J-shaped bolt perform poorly, in comparison. If
L-shaped