Sent: Friday, March 17, 2006 4:43 PM
Subject: RE: Oversize Holes in Base Plates - New AISC Manual

Hi Ken,

As I'm frequently the EOR specifying baseplate hole sizes, I'm open to your comments/recommendations on this.  I can design-in accomodations for any hole size and would like to hear from others on the "other side of the fence".  I met an old engineer once and he told me he used to design oversize (beyond AISC recommendations) baseplate hole sizes and it was common at the time then to fill the annular space between the anchor and edge of holes with molten lead.  Then cover it all with a plate washer.  They didn't weld the plate washer.  Ya learns sumthin' every day.

Thanks.

Bob Garner, S.E.