Condition assessment for old brick walls

I've got a building that is multi-wythe loadbearing brick, but (roughly) random portions of the bricks and mortar are in very poor condition. There are even a few bricks where you can grab a handful of red sand, and "excavate" more than half the brick with a finger. Similar condition with some of the mortar joints. The condition is primarily on the inner surface - I did not see any deterioration of this significance on the exterior. If I had to guess, I'd say 1% to 2% of the bricks, and maybe 2% to 4% of the mortar joints are no longer capable of supporting any type of load.

Any good references or recommendations on when a load bearing brick wall is considered "end of life" for a renovation project.

--
Jordan