From: Jordan Truesdell, PE [mailto:seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 21, 2006 10:53 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Condition assessment for old brick walls

I've got a building that is multi-wythe loadbearing brick, but (roughly)

random portions of the bricks and mortar are in very poor condition.
There are even a few bricks where you can grab a handful of red sand,
and "excavate" more than half the brick with a finger. Similar condition

with some of the mortar joints. The condition is primarily on the inner
surface - I did not see any deterioration of this significance on the
exterior. If I had to guess, I'd say 1% to 2% of the bricks, and maybe
2% to 4% of the mortar joints are no longer capable of supporting any
type of load.

Any good references or recommendations on when a load bearing brick wall

is considered "end of life" for a renovation project.

--
Jordan