Beam Repair Advise

Dear Fellow Engineers:
A carpenter removed a fireplace standing in the center
of 18?x18? room.  When he next uncovered the flue he
found that a 30? section of 3 1/2? x 11 7/8? MLAM beam
in the ceiling had been cut out to allow the flue to
pass. This beam supports floor joists for a similar
room above. The beam hasn't collapsed because there
are some posts (from the fireplace surround) to a
similar beam below. Of course the owners want to also
remove these posts.

The only repair I?ve come up with is to splice the
opening with a 4?x12? steel rectangular tube, jammed
into each beam end.

Can you advise?

Thanks,
Irv