Re: Beam Repair Advise

Well, Bill hasn't said anything yet, so I suppose I should offer advice in his absence:

Have you considered paying a licensed professional engineer to design the repair?

I say this because your solution is so utterly devoid of any engineering mechanics that it could not possibly be the result of an rational analysis by a competent individual. (Sorry if that last part sounded a bit like Gail).

Jordan

IRV FRUCHTMAN wrote:

Dear Fellow Engineers:
A carpenter removed a fireplace standing in the center
of 18’x18’ room.  When he next uncovered the flue he
found that a 30” section of 3 1/2” x 11 7/8” MLAM beam
in the ceiling had been cut out to allow the flue to
pass. This beam supports floor joists for a similar
room above. The beam hasn't collapsed because there
are some posts (from the fireplace surround) to a
similar beam below. Of course the owners want to also
remove these posts.
The only repair I’ve come up with is to splice the
opening with a 4”x12” steel rectangular tube, jammed
into each beam end. Can you advise?
Thanks,
Irv