From: Garner, Robert [mailto:rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 8:22 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Joints in retaining walls

I've seen this too.  I no longer put joints in my walls.  I just space the pvc sleeves for the railing at wherever I want a relief crack to appear.  I studied one such wall for a period after construction; the crack started at the sleeve at the top of the wall and over about a month, extended down the wall, nice and straight, pretty as any control joint.

Bob Garner