Need a book? Engineering books recommendations...
1997 UBC Section 1634 - Non-building Structures question[Subject Prev][Subject Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next]
- To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
- Subject: 1997 UBC Section 1634 - Non-building Structures question
- From: "Soojin, Hur" <sjhur(--nospam--at)hec.co.kr>
- Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 13:30:08 +0900
This is old subject, but ongoing one in my project.
Even though I found there was discussion on this subject, but I can't trace the result of it.
Is there anyone, who know the final conclusion of Mr. Ed's question below?
Thanks for anyone's input in advance.
From: Ed Marshall [mailto:elmarshall(--nospam--at)HASimons.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 21, 1999 5:18 PM
Subject: 1997 UBC Section 1634 - Non-building Structures question
Section 1634.5 of the 1997 UBC specifies increased minimum seismic loads for
"Other Nonbuilding Structures" relative to those for buildings. It says
that nonbuilding structures not covered by Sections 1634.3 & 1634.4 shall be
so designed. Section 1634.3 covers rigid structures and Section 1634.4
covers tanks with supported bottoms. Section 1630.2 (non-building
structures with structural systems similar to buildings) appears not to be
exempted from the increased minimum.
In contrast, in the 1994 NEHRP Recommended Provisions and in ASCE 7-95, the
exception applies to all three categories (rigid structures, tanks with
supported bottoms, and non-building structures with structural systems
similar to buildings). See NEHRP section 2.7.5 and ASCE 7-95 section
It seems that logically the exception should apply non-building structures
with structural systems similar to buildings since the R factor is typically
coming from UBC Table 16-N rather than Table 16-P. I'm inclined to assume
this is a typo in the code (although I don't find it corrected in the
Errata). Does anyone know of any other reason why the 1997 UBC deviates
from the 1994 NEHRP Recommended Provisions in this regard?
Ed Marshall, PE
- Prev by Subject: 1978 NDS / 1976 UBC
- Next by Subject: RE: 1997 UBC Section 1634 - Non-building Structures question
- Previous by thread: RE: Tension load on AISC Framed Beam Connection
- Next by thread: RE: 1997 UBC Section 1634 - Non-building Structures question