From: Jim Wilson
Sent: Wednesday, March 22, 2006 5:11 PM
Subject: Re: footing - frost depth

The IRC states "...foundation walls, piers and other permanent supports of buildings and structures shall be protected from frost by one or more of the following methods:  1. Extending below the frost line..."

Subsequently, the bottom of footing must be set at or below the frost line.  Some engineers and architects detail the top of the footing at frost line.  It's my guess that this is an older-school approach.  I say that only because I have seen it on older drawings, not in common practice.

For sloping grades, the footing depth needs to be measured perpendicular to the slope.  This could increase the vertical depth.

Jim Wilson, PE
Stroudsburg, PA

IRV FRUCHTMAN <ifaeng(--nospam--at)yahoo.com> wrote:
Dave
I thought the bottom of the footing is placed at or
below the frost depth.
Irv