Re: Tension load on AISC Framed Beam Connection

Rand,
The prying action due to axial tension has to be added
to forces from shear in your usual dbl angle beam
connection.  I went through this on a job where the
fabricator's engineer ignored the pass-through tension
forces.  I caught it and as it was installed already,
I had to make(and watch him as he kept trying to use
original 3/4 bolts) the fabricator install larger angles
and larger bolts.  After all this, the owner reneged
on paying me and I liened the job.  That was two years
ago and I got a letter this week from my lawyer that
I will get 80 cents on the dollar.
Gary