Re: footing - frost depth

Gary,

The residential code goes on:
2. Construction in accordance with R403.3 (Frost protected shallow foundations)
3. Constructing in accordance with ASCE 32-01 (Isn't that for construction on perma-frost, or something similar?); and
4. Erected on solid rock.
EXCEPTIONS:
1. Freestanding accessory structures with an area 400 square feet or less and an eave height less than 10 feet or less shall not be required to be protected.
2. Decks not supported by a dwelling need not be provided with footings that extend below the frost line.

I don't know the IBC requirements off hand.

Jim

Gary Hodgson & Associates <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca> wrote:
Jim,
Out of curiosity, what are the other methods allowed by
your code? Up here, the municipal authorities only want
to see the footings below frost level, so you have to do
a lot of dancing.
Gary